Travel Nurse: Four Reasons to Consider Travel Nursing

I found this picture of a lady lounging around in a hammock and decided to put it in a post because that is one of mis pasatiempos favoritos (to recall one of the only phrases I remember from Spanish I in high school). The main reason I decided to become a travel nurse was the opportunity to see new places and experience new things. But there are certainly other reasons to consider travel nursing.

Reason No. 2
Travel nursing has given me an opportunity to see how different facilities work in different parts of the United States. Most of the facilities I have worked in have been hospitals. I have noticed that many of the hospitals I have worked in are primarily about the "bottom line." How many patients can we put in how many beds to turn a profit? I would go to work like every other nurse, do my job and go home. Not much fun. However, I have worked in one hospital that was clearly more concerned about patient care and employee well being than turning a profit. At least that is how it seemed to me. Employees had access to onsite recreation facilities and patients had large, well furnished rooms and "gourmet" meals. If and when I decide to take another assignment in St. Louis that is the facility I would want to work in again.

Reason No. 3
Higher pay. I know that it is kinda' taboo to discuss pay at work, but everywhere I have worked it doesn't take long for me to find out how much everyone is making. Usually lunchtime conversation. It has been my experience that I make on average $10.00 to $20.00 more than regular nurses because I am a travel nurse.

Reason No. 4
If the job stinks, I usually only have to endure it for 3 months. And, if it is too bad, I just need to request that my agency find someone to replace me. I have not had to do this yet, but I have been told that it usually doesn't take very long.