Travel Nurse: Checklist (Work Facility)

This is my second post with checklist questions you will need to ask about your travel nurse assignment before you sign on the dotted line. The following questions are what all travel nurses should ask their travel nurse agency to avoid any unpleasant hidden surprises. Check out my travel nurse housing stipend checklist and my travel nurse salary, insurance and benefits checklist.

YOUR FUTURE WORK FACILITY
Ask the agency:
1) Has the facility used travel nurses before?
2) What is the nurse/patient ratio per shift?
3) Will there be unlicensed staff or other ancillary staff in the unit?
4) What type of scheduling is done (weekly, monthly, quarterly)?
5) Will I work in 4, 8, or 12 your shifts?
6) What are the facility's orientation procedures?
7) Are study guides provided and testing required?
8) Are there any licensure issues?
9) What type of charting system is used?
10)Do travelers float first and, if so, to what areas?
11) What are the expectations regarding being "on call"?
12) Will I be able to or required to work overtime?
13) Who do I talk to about time off, and what are the requirements for having it granted?
14) Who do I contact (the facility, my recruiter, my employer, other) if I have a problem or an important issue to discuss?
15) Is there an agency representative available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
16) What if my recruiter is unavailable?