Nurse v. Nurses Associations

I recently ran across a post at RN Central about a distressed nurse in Arizona, Amanda Trujillo.  According to the article, Amanda was essentially fired for trying to make sure her patient was aware of all the risks associated with a surgery recommended by the doctor. Amanda apparently reached out to several nursing associations she belonged to for help, but was told to find someone who could assist her in her professional practice.  The author of the article chides "That’s what I thought she did when Trujillo kept contacting them."

In 17 years of nursing, I have seen (and been in) a number of similar conflicts with doctors' recommendations.  I would hope my local nursing association would support me if I had not done anything unethical or otherwise outside nursing guidelines.  I hope everything turns out alright for Amanda.